Historic photographs of Papua and New Guinea
A series of 30 pictures taken in Papua and New Guinea, scanned from an information folder prepared and published by the Department of Territories, Canberra, 1959, reprinted in February 1963. Booklet included: Facts about Papua and New Guinea, 1965-70.
These black and white photographs have been scanned from the printed material. They are available as high quality digital images to researchers in the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific for research and educational purposes only. Researchers will be asked to sign a declaration to that effect.
An expedition preparing to set out from Port Moresby in 1885, for the crest of the Owen Stanley Ranges.
A German medical officer at Herbertshohe (now Kokopo) in 1906.
Rabaul and Simpson Harbour, New Britain.
The Australian and New Guinea Administrative Unit assisted Australian and Allied Forces throughout the war.
A village in the Trobriand Islands. The decorated building is a food storehouse.
Tending the taro plots.
Aerial view of Lake Murray.
An administration patrol moving along a ridge in the Chuave area of the Eastern Highlands.
A Norseman aircraft dropping medical supplies to a patrol camp near Lake Kopiago.
The administration station at Tapini in the mountains of Central Papua.
The Madang Hospital, opened in April 1961.
Ambulance and welfare station at Rabaul, New Britain.
The operating theatre at Samarai Administration Hospital.
An Administration primary school.
A classroom in a mission school at Menyamya.
The Ela Beach Pre-school Centre at Port Moresby.
A meeting of the Hanuabada Native Local Government Council near Port Moresby.
An electoral college in the Mt Hagen district.
The polling booth for the Central Highlands at Goroka, 18 March 1961.
The Legislative Council for the Territory of Papua and New Guinea in session.
Coconuts are gathered to make copra.
Rubber tappers at work on the Mamba plantation near Kokoda.
Coffee owned by indigenous growers being picked from a four-year-old tree at Palimp, near Mt Hagen in the Western Highlands District.
A young cocoa plantation established under Leucaena shade at an Administration Agricultural Extension Centre at Kokoda, in the Northern District.
Loading freight aboard a Piaggio aircraft at Port Moresby.
Gold dredge in the Bulolo area.
Logs for the mill at Bulolo in the highlands of the Morobe district.
Interior view of portion of the Commonwealth-New Guinea Timbers Limited plywood factory at Bulolo.
The longest bridge in the Territory spans the Markham River near the port of Lae. It was completed in 1955.