- Corruption scandal: Junta failing its first test
- Writing for New Mandala
- Bringing Malaysia back to the “middle”
- New president, old politics?
- Wisdom of General Prayuth
- Competition: Speaking of Southeast Asia
- Malaysia in a tragic year
- Thailand’s National Legislative Assembly
- Constitutional Court confirms Jokowi’s presidential victory
- Travelling back home
- Great expectations
- On the money?
- Hopes for a nation
- Jokowi’s coming presidency: a cautionary note
- The impossible necessity of collaboration
- Review of State and Uncivil Society in Thailand
17 July 2014 7:24 AM | 5 Comments
Volker Grabowsky reviews a book that analyses People’s Alliance for Democracy efforts to exploit the Thailand-Cambodia border conflictRead More
- Review of The “Bare Life”
30 June 2014 7:20 AM | 1 Comment
Ong Yanchun reviews a book that demonstrates the strengths and empathies of the late Pattana KitiarsaRead More
- Review of Indonesia Etc
23 June 2014 4:06 AM | 1 Comment
Jim Della-Giacoma reviews a book that paints an endearing and messy picture of Indonesia and its developmentRead More
- Review of Gambling, State, Society in Thailand
10 June 2014 1:43 AM | 1 Comment
Porphant Ouyyanont reviews an eminently readable book where the author presents his analysis concisely and lucidlyRead More
- Review of a History of the Vietnamese
28 May 2014 9:33 AM | 1 Comment
Norman G. Owen looks at this book's implications for Southeast Asian history as a wholeRead More
- Review of Beyond Democracy in Cambodia
23 May 2014 10:25 PM | 2 Comments
Virak Thun reviews a must-read book for Cambodian bureaucrats and policy-makersRead More
- Review of Being and Becoming Kachin
16 May 2014 5:37 PM | 13 Comments
Magnus Fiskesjö reviews Mandy Sadan's new book which he calls a tremendous contribution to understanding Kachin historyRead More
- Review of The Birth of Vietnamese Political Journalism
05 May 2014 7:41 AM | 2 Comments
This book reveals the vibrant political debates that took place in French Indochina in the early twentieth centuryRead More
- Review of Isan Writers, Thai Literature
21 February 2014 8:18 AM | 4 Comments
Martin Platt’s book Isan Writers, Thai Literature gives a foundational history of the Northeastern Thailand’s writers and their literary contributions.Read More
- Review of It’s a Living
06 February 2014 9:25 AM | 1 Comment
Annuska Derks reviews a book that examines how ordinary people live the incredible changes underway in Vietnam todayRead More
- Review of Worshipping the Great Moderniser
07 January 2014 8:29 AM | 6 Comments
Erick White reviews an important new book on Thailand's King ChulalongkornRead More
- Review of State and Uncivil Society in Thailand
This Week's Trending Posts
- The King Never Smiles? by Andrew Walker
- Volunteering to fight in Burma by Nicholas Farrelly
- The crushing of the Red Shirts by Nick Nostitz, Guest Contributor
- Songkran in Cambodia: Red Shirts meet Thaksin by Nick Nostitz, Guest Contributor
- Intolerance, Islam and the Internet in Burma today by Sai Latt, Guest Contributor
- Andrew Marshall's Thai Story by Nicholas Farrelly
- Corruption scandal: Junta failing its first test (2)
- Competition: Speaking of Southeast Asia (77)
- Johannes: There are some Indonesian words that are frequently used in Dutch and probably go down...
- jasper: hear this word while I was at exchange in indonesia. ‘CinLoc’ short for...
- Mark Moran: KEENEOW: sticky shit Love this Thai word and use it already in my English...
- Philip Hirsch: No, kathoey and kathoen are unrelated!
- Sceptic: Is kathoen related to the Thai kathoey – people whose condition might indeed be...
- Niphon: Good suggestion — sabai does have a wider meaning than just comfortable. Another...
- Writing for New Mandala (1)
- Daniel Sutantyo: “Provide the text in a Word document with minimal formatting.” Hmm,...
- Wisdom of General Prayuth (42)
- Ron Torrence: Great poem, it flows beautifully in Thai, my wife stumbled in the translation, but...
- tom hoy: Somebody claimed something.
- Nian: เด็ดปลีกมโนราห์มารศรี เทพีสันติภาพแห่งอุษา ไม่รุนแรง ไม่เปื้อนเลือด ไม่รบรา...
- Met is Dead: You are mixing up talking as in conversation with comprehension as in reading and...
- Met is Dead: Yingluck’s bad luck was to be pretty, hard to credit an attractive woman with...
- Sattahibo: Yingluck is not stupid at all. Nipon Poapongsakorn of Thailand Development Research...
- Siamese dreams in the time of the junta (64)
- How to understand Thailand’s conflict (140)
- Ann: Chinese translation here: http://seafaceblog.wordpress.c om/2014/05/26/thaiconflict/ This...
- Bringing Malaysia back to the “middle” (3)
- New president, old politics? (8)
- Ken Ward: Anies Baswedan of Paramadina University is the grandson of a Yogya Masyumi figure...
- Robert Smith: Do you want to live in North Korea or Kazakhstan? The human rights abuses in North...
- Nicholas Farrelly: We have long indulged a certain level of bombastic intervention on New...
- nakal: It’s amazing how presumptuous you are, Mr. Smith. I and others need no lectures...
- Robert Smith: Its amazing how many commentators here know so little of anything outside of...
Archives (2006 – 2014)