- The seeds of hope
- Duterte’s rape joke no laughing matter
- Seeking a “zone of safety”
- NLD needs to prioritise labour reform
- The quiet erosion of parliamentary immunity in Cambodia
- Urban exclusion in Southeast Asia
- Myanmar: an economy ready for takeoff
- Millennia-long histories and Burmese migrations into Thailand
- Sticking it to the crown
- Ceremony and pomp in Papua
- Malaysia’s political polarisation
- Personalities and institutional power in Malaysia
- Donald Trump is Thailand’s friend
- Brunei’s stateless left in a state of confusion
- A sip of something more in Myanmar?
- Review of Vietnamese Traditional Medicine
30 March 2016 4:00 PM | 1 Comment
A 'detective story' that should become the standard work in field of Vietnamese medicine for many years to come.Read More
- The days when boys became men
23 March 2016 12:30 PM | 11 Comments
A guerrilla perspective on an uprising, independence and the power of nationalism in Indonesia.Read More
- Review of Scholarship and engagement in mainland Southeast Asia
11 March 2016 4:00 PM | No Comments
Andrew Alan Johnson looks at a collection of essays honouring Chayan Vaddhanaphuti.Read More
- Andrew MacGregor Marshall’s royalist history
07 March 2016 2:00 PM | 13 Comments
New Mandala co-founder Andrew Walker reviews 'A kingdom in crisis'.Read More
- Stuck fast; review of Troubled transit
03 February 2016 10:50 AM | 5 Comments
Duncan Graham reflects on Antje Missbach's compelling study of asylum seekers trapped in Indonesia.Read More
- Review of Unequal Thailand
12 January 2016 1:33 PM | 9 Comments
New volume tackles the challenges of Thailand's oligarchy.Read More
- Review of Blood, Dreams and Gold
14 December 2015 10:12 AM | 1 Comment
A personal, accessible and important account of Myanmar's political transition.Read More
- Review of General Ne Win: A Political Biography
23 November 2015 9:46 AM | 4 Comments
An illuminating and important study of one of Burma’s most controversial political figures.Read More
- Review of Under Bright Lights
20 November 2015 2:42 PM | 2 Comments
Global glamour and local squalor collide in Bobby Benedicto's work on gay Manila.Read More
- Review of A Prince in a Republic
24 October 2015 1:55 PM | 3 Comments
John Monfries' book on one of Java's greatest rulers offers new perspectives on key political problems in 20th century Indonesia.Read More
- Review of Embodied Nation
23 September 2015 2:11 PM | 1 Comment
This book reveals how modern sport and physicality has shaped modern Laos history.Read More
- Review of The Divine Eye and the Diaspora
13 September 2015 1:04 AM | No Comments
This new book sheds light on the group that became Vietnam’s most famous syncretic ‘new religion’ of the twentieth centuryRead More
- Review of The Wheel-Turner and His House
05 August 2015 1:01 PM | 20 Comments
According to Patrick McCormick, the story of a great Burmese king has not always been what it seems.Read More
- Bradley C. Davis joins New Mandala as book editor
25 June 2015 2:33 PM | No Comments
Davis replaces outgoing editor Dr Michael Montesano.Read More
- Review of Vietnamese Traditional Medicine
- Duterte’s rape joke no laughing matter (2)
- NLD needs to prioritise labour reform (1)
- Moe Aung: Couldn't agree more that workers' rights and working conditions must be one of the NLD government's top priorities. Time to ...
- Myanmar: an economy ready for takeoff (5)
- Moe Aung: Don't blame you , Ohn. Has it ever stopped them from telling others how to run their affairs just because ...
- Ohn: This super rosy depiction is sickening . Funny coming from the wonderful "Western Democracies" who are s bankrupt even after ...
- Ohn: "If only a growth in GDP always translates into that. We should be so lucky." Not just only, NEVER does ...
- Alice in Juntaland and autocracy in Thailand (16)
- robertk: yes, remember teh porr taxi driver soon after the coup, who expressed his opinion on various matters to a passenger. ...
- The quiet erosion of parliamentary immunity in Cambodia (1)
- Shane Tarr: I am not sure where Ana McKenzie is coming from but the "analysis" above reads as though it was something ...
- Sticking it to the crown (13)
- Mish Khan: Thanks for all the comments so far! I've learned a lot about the Royal family I didn't know previously Best ...
- Chris Beale: Certainly Khaen Phet. Though your first question is enormous, I'll attempt to answer it briefly. Thai humour has long seen ...
- Kaen Phet: Chris Beale could you possibly expand on the following remark (a similar observation I recall you making in a previous ...
- Donald Trump is Thailand’s friend (18)
- Why we marched for Malaysia (2)
- Sharyn Foo: I suppose that, coupled with some other factors, Mahathir was better at pressing the right buttons to keep people (and ...
- It takes a nation to raise a dictator’s son (24)
- MJ Wilson: Be careful there, runyonalfredd, you may just get what you wish for. After all, Thailand is BOTH "in its way ...
- Ceremony and pomp in Papua (1)
- Arief Munandar: I always feel weird, any discussion of Papua and Indonesia are always filled with controversy... that so concerned.
Archives (2006 – 2016)