Showing 10 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Department of Communications

  • Corporate body
  • c.1948-1975

The Department of Communications was part of the Overseas Mission Committee for the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand. Following the establishment of an independent New Hebrides Presbyterian Church in 1948, the New Zealand Presbyterian Church continued to work as a partner. It assisted in the establishment of a High School at Onesua on Efate, as well as providing funds and personnel to set up and run a small hospital on Tongoa. The New Zealand Church was also involved in developing Navota Farm and opening the Maropa religious bookshop in Port Vila, training local islanders to be trades people and undertake the building work. The New Zealand Bible Class volunteer scheme sent out young people during the 1960s to assist with building, administration and nursing. The Mission, at the request of the Presbyterian Church of the New Hebrides, divested itself of all remaining authority in the Islands so that the New Zealand missionaries effectively worked for the New Hebrides Church.

Foreign Missions Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1863-

The Foreign Missions Committee was established by the "Southern Church" of the Presbyterian Church in New Zealand. The Southern Church was represented by the Presbyterian Synod of Otago and Southland and was based on the Free Church of Scotland ideals.
The Foreign Mission Committee was elected to take charge of missionary activities for the "Southern Church" of the Presbyterian Church in New Zealand. This included administering all foreign mission appointments and matters and organising an annual mission collection to support missionaries in the field.

LMS Samoa District

  • Corporate body

The LMS Samoa District was the London Missionary Society mission church in Samoa. The governing body was made up of the European missionaries in Samoa. Throughout the 19th Century the LMS Samoa District evangelised Niue, Tuvalu, and the South of Kiribati (which was known as the Northwest Outstation). The missions and emerging churches in Niue, Tuvalu and South Kiribati were under the control and administration of the Samoa District Committee. Samoan missionaries looked after the churches in Niue and Tuvalu under the supervision of European LMS missionaries.

Malua Theological College

  • Malua Theological College
  • Corporate body
  • 1844-

Malua Theological College is a training institute for the ministry of the Congregational Christian Church in Samoa (CCCS). It was established in 1844 in a district of Saleimoa west of Apia on the Island of Upolu.
The aim of the College is to provide quality theological education, and to equip student with knowledge and skills necessary for an effective ministry in the Church.

Oceania Marist Province Archives

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-

The Marist Order (Society of Mary) was canonically approved in April 1836 after the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith in Rome had sought means of evangelising the western half of the Pacific. The eastern half had been entrusted to the Sacred Heart (Picpus) Order in 1833. The Marists, originally an informal group of diocesan priests, accepted the task in the Western Pacific, provided they were recognised as an independent religious order. The first Marists sailed for the Pacific in December 1836 under the leadership of Bishop Jean-Baptiste Pompallier. The Bishop established his headquarters in New Zealand while some of his missionaries were left on the islands of Wallis and Futuna. However, the huge vicariate under Pompallier’s care soon proved too large to be practicable and in 1842 part of it was carved off to form the Vicariate of Central Oceania. This new vicariate comprised the islands of Wallis, Futuna, New Caledonia, New Hebrides, Samoa, Tokelau, Fiji, Rotuma, Niue and the Gilbert Islands. A few years later, before any Marist missionaries had set foot there, the Gilbert Islands were made part of a new vicariate of Micronesia. In 1898, the Marists working in Wallis & Futuna, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, New Caledonia, New Hebrides, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and Bougainville were formally constituted into the Province of Oceania. The provincial administration was established in Sydney and remained there until 1971, when the headquarters was transferred to Suva, Fiji.

Papua New Guinea Cocoa Board

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-

The Cocoa Board of Papua New Guinea was first established under the Cocoa Act 1974 and was then known as the Cocoa Marketing Board of Papua New Guinea. The Act was revised in 1981 and the name changed to the Cocoa Board of Papua New Guinea.

Roman Catholic Church, Kavieng

  • Corporate body

The Diocese of Kavieng encompasses the two provinces of Manus and New Ireland. Out of a total population of 96,000 about 45,000 are Catholic. Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (MSC) arrived in New Britain in 1882. By the turn of the century, evangelisation had begun in New Ireland, and ten years later the first missionary priests reached Manus. In both cases, Catechists preceded the missionaries. By 1935 parishes had been founded throughout the two major islands of Manus and New Ireland and on most of the larger adjacent islands.

During World War II/WWII the Vicariate of Rabaul lost over 40 priests and 40 brothers, and most buildings in many parishes were destroyed. After the War came a new influx of missionaries from the German, Irish, and American provinces of the MSC. Schools, churches, convents and health centres were quickly rebuilt from scrap materials salvaged from installations left by the American forces. At the same time, the mission made a strong commitment to education and began training large numbers of local teachers.

In 1957 Kavieng was separated from Rabaul and made a Vicariate under Bishop Alfred Stemper, MSC. In 1966 Kavieng and other Vicariates were made Dioceses, and more conscious attention was given to the development of the local church. The first two national priests from Kavieng Diocese were ordained in 1968.

Bishop Stemper retired in 1981, handing over the Diocese to the care of Bishop Hesse. Bishop Stemper died in Kavieng on 20 February 1984.
Transportation and communication remain the main difficulties due to the size of the Diocese (136kms square).

Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation

  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

The Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation (SIBC) was founded in 1976, replacing the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Services (SIBS).

The SIBC was established to provide a high quality broadcasting services, by radio, of a wide range of programs for the information, education and entertainment of all people living in the sovereign borders of the Independent State of Solomon Islands.