Department of Communications

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Department of Communications

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

c.1948-1975

History

The Department of Communications was part of the Overseas Mission Committee for the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand. Following the establishment of an independent New Hebrides Presbyterian Church in 1948, the New Zealand Presbyterian Church continued to work as a partner. It assisted in the establishment of a High School at Onesua on Efate, as well as providing funds and personnel to set up and run a small hospital on Tongoa. The New Zealand Church was also involved in developing Navota Farm and opening the Maropa religious bookshop in Port Vila, training local islanders to be trades people and undertake the building work. The New Zealand Bible Class volunteer scheme sent out young people during the 1960s to assist with building, administration and nursing. The Mission, at the request of the Presbyterian Church of the New Hebrides, divested itself of all remaining authority in the Islands so that the New Zealand missionaries effectively worked for the New Hebrides Church.

Places

Vanuatu

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mission work

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Foreign Missions Committee (1863-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

Foreign Missions Committee is the predecessor of Department of Communications

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes