01925nkc a22002177i 4500001000700000008004100007040002600048100004600074245003500120264001000155300007200165336002800237337002300265338003200288500002400320500010500344506002800449533007700477545099400554856015901548108233180621u xx 000 0|zxx d aANU:PMBcANU:PMBerda1 aDepartment of Communicationsdc.1948-197510aGymnastics, Onesua high school c1950s aDigital photograph, original format was black and white photograph. astill image2rdacontent acomputer2rdamedia aonline resource2rdacarrier aAU PMB PHOTO 97-017 aPresbyterian Research Centre, Knox College Information: Reference number: P-AH40 Photo number: NH/56 aAvailable for reference aElectronic reproduction:bCanberra :cPacific Manuscripts Bureau, d20180 aThe Department of Communications was part of the Overseas Mission Committee for the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand. Following the establishment of an independent New Hebrides Presbyterian Church in 1948, the New Zealand Presbyterian Church continued to work as a partner. It assisted in the establishment of a High School at Onesua on Efate, as well as providing funds and personnel to set up and run a small hospital on Tongoa. The New Zealand Church was also involved in developing Navota Farm and opening the Maropa religious bookshop in Port Vila, training local islanders to be trades people and undertake the building work. The New Zealand Bible Class volunteer scheme sent out young people during the 1960s to assist with building, administration and nursing. The Mission, at the request of the Presbyterian Church of the New Hebrides, divested itself of all remaining authority in the Islands so that the New Zealand missionaries effectively worked for the New Hebrides Church.41uhttp://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/pambu/digital/catalogue/index.php/gymnastics-onesua-high-schoolzView this item in the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau Catalogue.