- 1822 - 1840 (Production)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
Zone du contexte
Nom du producteur
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Rev. John Williams (1796-1839) went to Tahiti as a missionary in 1816 and was active in the Society, Hervey, Southern Cook and Samoan Islands. In 1839, he moved to Fasitoouta, Upolu, in Samoa and began a station there. On November 20th of that year, he was killed at Erromanga, New Hebrides. Rev. Robert Bourne (18??-1871) went to the Society Islands as a missionary in 1817. In 1822, he began the mission at Tahaa. He left Tahiti in 1827 and retired to England in 1829.
The principal item on the microfilm is a journal describing a voyage made by the Revs John Williams and Robert Bourne from Raiatea to Aitutaki, Mangaia, Atiu, Mitiaro, Mauke and Rarotonga in July-August 1823, to propagate the Gospel. The journal appears to have been written, or written up, by Bourne. There is a subscription in ink by Williams on the last page. Some passages in the journal are the same or similar to those in William's A Narrative of Missionary Enterprises in the South Sea Islands, London, 1837.
Other items on the microfilm are:
* A letter from Williams to his family from Raiatea, dated November 9, 1822.
* A copy of a letter from Tamatoa, chief of Raiatea, to the President of the United States, dated Raiatea, September 10, 1829.
* A letter from Williams to A. Birnie, dated Raiatea, February 27, 1830.
* A letter from Williams to his sister Mary, dated Portsea, June 17, 1836.
* A letter from Williams to his sister, dated Cape Town, July 14, 1838.
* Copy of an extract from the minutes of a meeting of the London Missionary Society in Samoa on March 30, 1840, concerning news of the murder of Williams in the New Hebrides and his associate James Harris.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions de reproduction
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Notes sur la langue et l'écriture
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
Instruments de recherche
Zone des sources complémentaires
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Unités de description associées
Zone des notes
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
- Williams John and Bourne Robert (Production)