- 1933 - 1970 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Independent Society established in 1963 with initial New Zealand Government support.
1. Shipping Notes compiled by W.G. Coppell, 1962-67, nos. 1-149 (MS 72).
Typescript research notes consisting of extracts from various primary and secondary sources referring to ships which have visited the Cook Islands.
2. A.B. Donald and Co. Cook Islands Shipping Register, May 1949 to November 1970.
3. Narrative of Charles James Ward (born 1856, died 1933) of Rarotonga, prepared by G.H. Davis, Postmaster, 1933 - typescript, 11 pages (MS 16). Ward first visited Rarotonga in 1881. He later settled there, working initially as a skipper of island schooners and later as a storekeeper.
4. Correspondence of William McBirney (born c.1871, died 1956), 1947-55, relating to the introduction of plants to the Cook Islands (MS 15).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Cook Islands Library and Museum Society (Creation)