01781nkc a22002177i 450000100060000000800410000604000260004710000380007324500160011126400130012730000720014033600280021233700230024033800320026350000240029550004150031950600280073453300770076254505830083985601410142288292160911s1951 xx 000 0|zxx d aANU:PMBcANU:PMBerda1 aForeign Missions Committeed1863-10aStone altar cAug 1951 aDigital photograph, original format was black and white photograph. astill image2rdacontent acomputer2rdamedia aonline resource2rdacarrier aAU PMB PHOTO 89-005 aPresbyterian Research Centre, Knox College: Accession number: GA/1 Description: An unknown native man standing by stones arranged in a circle, with a large flat stone on top, being an altar where a chief was initiated and on which his bones bleach after death. The bones of a chief were also placed under the slab. Taken on Lamenu Island. Subjects: Funerary arrangements - Graves Reference number: P-A16.05-005 aAvailable for reference aElectronic reproduction:bCanberra :cPacific Manuscripts Bureau, d20160 aThe Foreign Missions Committee was established by the "Southern Church" of the Presbyterian Church in New Zealand. The Southern Church was represented by the Presbyterian Synod of Otago and Southland and was based on the Free Church of Scotland ideals. The Foreign Mission Committee was elected to take charge of missionary activities for the "Southern Church" of the Presbyterian Church in New Zealand. This included administering all foreign mission appointments and matters and organising an annual mission collection to support missionaries in the field.41uhttp://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/pambu/digital/catalogue/index.php/stone-altarzView this item in the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau Catalogue.