This scholarship is offered by the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific and funded by the EE Tory Endowment.
Please note that the following information is for students applying for the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship to support Asian language study in countries in the Asian region (excluding Australia).
Field of study
The Ethel Tory Language Scholarship provides funds to assist students undertaking full-time study outside Australia, in the following categories:
- Language courses conducted off shore by ANU and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- Language courses offered by an approved international higher education provider and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- A program of study, offered by an approved international higher education provider, delivered in a foreign language and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
Completion of the course of study for which the scholarship was awarded must occur within the year following receipt of the award.
- Be an ANU student currently studying Asian language at an intermediate/advanced (or equivalent) level within their undergraduate degree
- Be studying full time while overseas in an approved field of study
- Not be a previous Ethel Tory scholarship recipient
- Not concurrently hold another scholarship awarded by the ANU for language study
- International students may not apply the scholarship for study in their country of origin.
- Academic record of eligible students
- Demonstrated benefits to the student's personal and academic life
- Whether the student has been awarded any other funding, grants or scholarships for language study
- Access and equity considerations, including, if relevant, financial circumstances.
Conditions of Award [PDF, 379kB]
Applications are managed through the Terradotta site in two rounds per year.
For overseas activity taking place in the first half of 2017( Spring and Summer session, Semester 1 2017):
- Applications open: 13 September 2016
- Applications close: 31 October 2016
- Notified of outcome: 16 November 2016
For overseas activity taking place in the second half of 2017 (Autumn and Winter session, Semester 2 2017):
- Applications open: 31 January 2017
- Applications close: 26 April 2017
- Notified of outcome: 10 May 2017
Successful applicants will be contacted using their ANU email address to sign the Letter of Offer and accept the Conditions of Award.
The language study program must be completed as approved under the award of the scholarship. Upon completion of the course and return to ANU, students must provide:
- A short report in English (500-1000 words) on the study experience, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; and if applicable
- Official evidence from participating organisation, stating that the course of language study was completed (only if the course does not have an ANU course code). An original copy of this must be submitted to the CAP Student Centre, or a certified copy emailed to email@example.com as a scanned attachment.
Failure to complete the course of study for which the scholarship was awarded may result in students being required to repay the scholarship funds.
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org