- AU PMB MS 1080
The Apostolic Prefecture of Southern Oceania was established on 10 January 1830 and the Apostolic Vicariate of Eastern Oceania was formed on 2 June 1833. The Tahiti Mission was entrusted to the Congregation SS.CC. by decree of 20 May 1833. On 9 May 1848 the latter was divided into the Apostolic Vicariate of the Marquesas Islands, comprising only the Marquesas Archipelago, and the Apostolic Vicariate of the Tahitian Islands, consisting of Easter Island, the Friendly Islands, the Gambier, Tuamotu and Austral archipelagos, and the Cook Islands. By a decree dated February 1889, but ineffective until 1921, Easter Island was transferred to the Chilean Vicariate Apostolic of Villarica. On 27 November 1922 a separate Prefecture was established for the Cook Islands. The Archdiocese of Papeete was formed on 21 June 1966.
Administrative records of the Archdiocese and its predecessor organisations as arranged by Father Amerigo Cools and described in his Repertoire des archives de l'archidiocese de Papeete, 1970 (excluding the catalogued manuscripts, which are microfilmed at PMB 1082, and most of the maps and legal documents). The archives are arranged under the following categories:<BR> A.Autorites superieures<BR> B. Archidiocese de Papeete<BR> C/D. Personnel missionnaires <BR> E. Enseignement <BR> H/K.Rapports <BR> L. Administration temporel <BR> N. Aide <BR> P. Geographie, histoire, &c <BR> Z. Histoire de la Mission<P><B>See reel list for further details</B>
Catholic Archdiocese of Papeete