Showing 243 results

Archival description
Collection With digital objects
Print preview View:

Solomon Islands Forestry reports and papers

  • AU PMB DOC 537
  • Collection
  • 1957-1999

This collection includes printed papers and reports relating to forestry and logging in the Solomon Islands up until around 1999. They are mainly of a technical nature by specialist assessors, non-Government organisations or governmental reviews.

Bennett, Judith

Papua New Guinea Cocoa Board Publications

  • AU PMB DOC 538
  • Collection
  • 1979-1997

The Cocoa Board of Papua New Guinea was first established under the Cocoa Act 1974 and was then known as the Cocoa Marketing Board of Papua New Guinea. The Act was revised in 1981 and the name changed to the Cocoa Board of Papua New Guinea.

The main functions of the PNG Cocoa Board are to control and regulate the growing, processing, marketing and export of cocoa beans; establish price stabilization, price equalization and stockholding arrangements within the cocoa industry, promote the consumption of Papua New Guinea cocoa beans and cocoa products; promote research and development programmes for the benefit of the PNG cocoa industry; and carry out the obligations of the State under any international agreement relating to cocoa.

The PNG Cocoa Board also collects statistics on PNG Cocoa production, documented PNG cocoa exports, researched international cocoa farming and production practices and distributed educational material to New Guinea farmers on best practice farming methods for cocoa production. The PNG Cocoa Board produced publications and booklets, often in English and Pidgin and sometimes Motu, on various aspects relating to cocoa production.

This collection includes a selection of publications produced by the Papua New Guinea Cocoa Board (1979-1996). It includes Annual Reports (1979-1989), Board meeting papers (1985-1993), administrative, marketing and research papers (1982-1996), statistical reports (1990-1996), market reports (1992-1997), publications by the PNG Cocoa and Coconut Research Institute (1986-1992), manuals and reports from the Cocoa Quality Improvement Project (1987-1993) and other publications on cocoa production and distribution and PNG agriculture in general (1980-1993).

PNG Cocoa most likely came from Samoa in the early 20th Century. In 1844 Germany annexed New Guinea and took large numbers of New Guinea labourers to work on German plantations in Samoa. By 1900 there were well established shipping routes between Samoa and New Guinea. It is likely that a German company based in Samoa transported cocoa seedlings to New Guinea on the boats used for recruiting and returning New Guinea labourers.

Cocoa was primarily grown on plantations until WWII in New Guinea. From the early 1950s cocoa was developed as a smallholder crop and a plantation cop. The most extensive early development was in the Gazelle Peninsula of New Britain. Other early cocoa plantations were in North Solomons and the Northern District (Oro Province).

In the early 21st Century, cocoa continues to be the most important export cash crop of smallholder farmers in the wet lowlands. Over 90% of PNG cocoa is produced by smallholders. Many Papua New Guinea women participate in cocoa farming and production in PNG. Although PNG contributes less than 2% to the world cocoa market it has established an international reputation for quality, attracting 90% of a premium for fine and flavor cocoa.

Resources: http://www.cocoaboard.org.pg/

Papua New Guinea Cocoa Board

Land Use Reports

  • AU PMB DOC 540
  • Collection
  • 1957 - 2005

729 land Use Reports, by various authors, relating to the Department of Agriculture and Livestock. See individual records for details.

Department of Agriculture and Livestock, PNG

New Hebridean Viewpoints / Vanuaaku Viewpoints

  • AU PMB DOC 541
  • Collection
  • 1971-1976

Monthly magazine (irregular) of the New Hebrides National Party. Later title Vanuaaku Viewpoints (Vol. 7, no. 4, Apr 1977 – Vol. 8, no. 6, 1978?)

Information Department of the Niu Hebredis Nasonal Pati

Diary

  • AU PMB MS 1
  • Collection
  • 1 January - 31 December 1905

Maurice M. Witts, (1877-1966) an Australian who fought in the Boer War, went to the New Hebrides as a settler in 1904 after a brief sojourn in Fiji. With two cousins, Theo and Arthur Thomas, he planted coconuts in the Hog Harbour area of Espiritu Santo. He returned to Australia about 1913 and lived in the Moss Vale district until his death.

The diary gives an account of the life of a copra planter in a remote part of the New Hebrides, and contains numerous observations on the natives of the Hog Harbour area. See also PMB 8 for a later diary by Witts for the year 1911.

Witts Maurice M.

Wallis Island papers

  • AU PMB MS 1014
  • Collection
  • c.1900-1960

Dr Renaud was born in France in about 1900. His medical and administrative career in the French Government service took him to French colonies in Africa, the Antilles, Guiana and the Pacific. In about 1930 he was chief medical officer and surgeon at the Gaston Bourret hospital in Noumea, New Caledonia and between 1931-33 Resident and medical officer in Wallis and Futuna. While in Wallis, Dr Renaud discovered a carbon copy of an anonymous work on Wallisian grammar: Elements de grammaire wallisienne. It may be the grammar by Dr Maxim Viala. According to Paul Privat-Deschanel, cited by Patrick O'Reilly in his Bibliographie ... des Iles Wallis et Futuna (Paris: Musee de l'Homme, 1964). Dr Viala, while Resident and medical officer in Wallis in the early 1900s, compiled a Wallisian grammar and dictionary which was expected to be published. P. O'Reilly notes that to 1964, it had not appeared. Another, possibly the original, copy of the manuscript was owned in the 1950s by Prof. J. Guiart, then in New Caledonia. It was microfilmed under the South Pacific Commission's Preservation of Manuscripts programme and recorded in Deposit Notice 36. It is not clear (Dec. 1989) whether the master negative is held in the National Library of Australia or whether it is of sufficiently good quality for reproduction. Dr Renaud's copy is therefore refilmed by the PMB, together with the text of a lecture Les Iles Wallis et Futuna given in Paris in about 1960 by Dr Renaud but based on his 1931-33 experiences and subsequent researches. See also PMB Doc.399.

Elements de grammaire walliseienne n.d. n.p. 76p; carbon copy of typescript; pp.74 and 75 transposed.<P>Black and white photograph of Dr Renaud<P>Les iles Wallis et Futuna n.d. (1960?) typescript of lecture given in Paris by Dr Renaud; 11p.

Renaud Dr Georges J.L.

Correspondence re the British Solomon Islands Protectorate

  • AU PMB MS 1021
  • Collection
  • 1909 - 1928

Woodford, the first Resident Commissioner of the British Solomon Islands Protectorate, established its postal services and designed the first postage stamp used there.

The correspondence includes a 4-page history of the philatelic services of the Protectorate and mentions the design of the first postage stamp and its production.The film also includes correspondence of ERIC MONCKTON 1909-10, describing the establishment of a copra plantation at Ko Ko Nai in the Shortland Islands. The correspondence includes a sketch of his 'native' house and describes how it was built; his efforts in copra production and trading; recruitment of native labour both local and from Malaita; the trochus shell industry; his experiment in the timber trade and his daily life in general. Also mentioned is Eric's brother, Claude (H.C. Monckton) who put money into the Ko Ko Nai venture, and who later became Advisor on Native Affairs in Fiji. It was on Eric's estate that S.G.C. Knibbs, Commissioner of Lands for the Protectorate, did his initial surveys in the Shortlands, 1913-1914 (see Knibb's book, The Savage Solomons as They Were and Are (London: Seeley, Service & Co. Ltd., 1929, pp.115-116).

Woodford, Charles Morris

Tongoan dictionary and notes on other Vanuatu languages (central Islands)

  • AU PMB MS 1028
  • Collection
  • 1941 - 1973

Dr and Mrs Miller were missionaries of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand on the Island of Tongoa in Vanuatu from 1941 to 1947 when Miller became principal of the Tangoa Teachers Training Institute on Tangoa Island (as opposed to Tongoa Island in the Shepherd Group) just off the coast of Santo Island. In 1952 the Millers took a parish in Auckland, New Zealand, returning to Tangoa in 1971 to set up the Presbyterian Bible College. They left the New Hebrides/Vanuatu in 1973.

The material on this reel is presented in two parts: Part I, The Tongaon Dictionary and Part II, Languages of the Central Islands. The Dictionary, which is incomplete, was compiled during field service (1941-73). Miller describes the dictionary as colloquial rather than ecclesiastical, making use of material produced by the Reverends Oscar Michelsen and Peter Milne, missionaries in the New Hebrides in the late 1800s. Much of the explanatory material in the dictionary is in Tongoan. Part II begins with a grammar and word list for the Makatea language (Polynesian) of Emae and continues with brief grammars of four of the seven dialects of Efatese identified by Miller:<BR>Lelepa (Efate)<BR> Erakor (Efate)<BR>Emau (Efatese) and Epau-Fuari (Eastern Efatese). Miller has provided a detailed introduction to the dictionary and to each of the grammars in Part II.

Miller Rev. Dr J. Graham (1913-2008)

Results 31 to 40 of 243