Showing 243 results

Archival description
Collection With digital objects
Print preview View:

Papers relating to the Western State movement, Solomon Islands.

  • AU PMB MS 1292
  • Collection
  • 1998-2004

Papers gathered on field research during the political crisis in the Solomon Islands. Some of the results of Dr Scales research have been published, see Ian Scales (2007) “The coup nobody noticed: the Solomon Islands Western State Movement in 2000”, Journal of Pacific History 42(2): 186-209.

Papers arranged in five series.
Series 1/1-36. Papers on the Western State Movement, 1999-2001.
Series 2/1-4. Papers relating to Solomon Islands Government Provincial Government Review Committee.
Series 3/1-11. Report of the State Government Task Force 2001.
Series 4/1-7. Newspaper cuttings related to the Western State Movement 1999-2001.
Series 5/1-2. Additional documents.
See Finding aids for details.

Scales, Ian A. (1963- )

Manuscript and printed material

  • AU PMB MS 1313
  • Collection
  • 1845-1953

Rev. Isaac Rooney (1843-1931) succeeded Rev. George Brown (1835-1917) as superintendent of the Methodist Mission in New Britain (Duke of York Islands), 1881-1888. The Mission had been established by Rev. Brown in 1875. Rev. Benjamin Danks (1853-1921) had joined Brown in 1878.

Manuscripts, Items 1-7: Photographs, press cuttings and letters to Isaac Rooney from Lorimer Fison and Fred Langham, Aug-Nov 1880.

Printed books, Items 1-15: mainly translations of scriptures into the language of the Duke of York Islands, some with inserts and annotations by Isaac Rooney, 1886-1905; and additional pamphlets by Isaac Rooney, including his essays on Darwinism and the origin of the Lelanesian and Polynesian races (1907), and by W.L.I. Linggood.

See Finding aids for details.
See also PMB 614, George Brown, George, Benjamin Danks and Isaac Rooney, Dictionary and Grammar of the Duke of York Island Language, copy owned and probably annotated by Isaac Rooney.

Rooney, Isaac (1843-1931)

Solomon Islands languages collection: Manuscripts and old prints from Malaita

  • AU PMB MS 1316
  • Collection
  • 1918-1996

Solomon Islands languages collection: Manuscripts and old prints collected from Malaita. The Marist missionaries involved in the collection of these documents are:
Father Donatien Coicaud (1884-1957), born in Nantes, France, was in the Solomon Islands from 1912 to 1957. He founded the mission of Buma on Malaita in 1914 from where he was active in the whole of Central and North-Malaita until his death in 1957. He left lots of material behind, among other things on the languages of Langalanga, Kwaio and Lau. He understood Kwara'ae but did not use it much. After his death, Fr. Kamphuis took the material on Lau and other North-Malaita languages, the material on Langalanga and Kwaio stayed in Buma.
Father Christian Kamphuis (1916-2006), born in Oldenzaal, the Netherlands, was in the Solomon Islands from 1947 to 1996. He lived in Takwa, North-East Malaita, from 1948 to 1965 where he worked in the languages of Lau and Baegu'u. He was famous for his knowledge of the Lau language. He lived in Dala from 1972 to 1993 where he learned the Kwara'ae language.
Father Rinaldo Pavese (1886-1955), born in Italy, was in the Solomon Islands from 1910 to 1933, first on San Cristoval and from 1912 in Tangarare, South-West Guadalcanal. He had the reputation of having been an exceptional good Gari speaker.
Father Alois Brugmans (1899-1985), Dutch, was in the Solomon Islands from 1929 to 1942 and in Visale, West-Guadalcanal, 1936- 1942.
Father Jan Snijders (1928---), Dutch, was in the Solomon Islands 1954 to 1970, and in Dala, Kwara'ae, from 1956 to 1967. He was attached to the Marist Headhouse in Rome, 1970-1982, visiting and traveling in the pacific a lot, and then lecturer in philosophy at Holy Spirit Seminary, Bomana, PNG, 1983-1987.

The French Marist priest Donatien Coicaud joined his brother Jean in the Solomon Islands in 1912. In 1914 Donatien founded the mission of Buma, Central Malaita, where he stayed until his death. He was active all over North and Central Malaita. In the 1930's boys from all the villages he visited came to the boarding school in Buma. Father Coicaud taught them to read and write in their own languages and he had them write down the stories they had heard at home, each in his own language. They also at times translated parts of the catechism, Christian doctrine or Bible stories, probably from texts in the Gari language from Guadalcanal. Fr. Coicaud kept the best manuscripts carefully as source material for his study of the Malaita languages. Some were typed out later on. He had also collected other language documents from the other churches active in the area.

After Fr. Donatien's death Father Chris Kamphuis, who worked in North Malaita from 1948 to 1964, inherited the material from the North Malaita language areas. He kept it during the years when he was in Tanagai (Guadalcanal, 1965-1971) and Dala (Kwar’ae, Malaita, l972-1993) and took it with him when he retired to the Netherlands in 1996.

Documents gathered by Fr Jan Snijders and supplied to Dr Darrell Tryon, as follows:
Stories (Histoires) 1-7. “Put together in seven large envelopes just as they have been found among the papers of Father Kamphuis in 2006.” Consisting of word and phrase lists, folktales, customs, etc., in the languages of Lau, Kwara'ae, and others, written by Ben. Lusitaemu, Paulo Misiga, and others.
Docs. 1-4. Documents found among the papers of Fr. Kamphuis: Gari and Kwara'ae dictionaries and Kwara'ae spelling list.
Docs. 5-18. Kwara'ae, Gari, Lau, Malu (To’a Ba’ita) texts (catechism, scriptures, traditions, geography) and Kwara'ae grammars.
See Finding aids for further details.

Snijders, Fr Jan Sm

Church of Melanesia, Diocese of Vanuatu, Diocesan papers, Santo

  • AU PMB MS 1334
  • Collection
  • 1909-1999

NOTE The Church of Melanesia which was established by Bishop George Augustus Selwyn in 1849. It is known for the pioneer martyrs, Bishop John Coleridge Patteson, murdered in 1871, and Charles Godden, killed in 1906, among others.
The Anglican Diocese of Melanesia separated from New Zealand in 1854. In 1963 the first two Melanesian Bishops were consecrated: Dudley Tuti and Leonard Alufurai. In 1975 Church of Melanesia was inaugurated as its own Province and Norman Palmer was consecrated as the first Archbishop of Melanesia.
The Church has established Anglican congregations in northern Vanuatu, particularly in Ambai (Aoba), the Banks and Torres Islands and Santo, which were administered as an Archdeaconry, until the appointment of the first Bishop of Vanuatu in 1972. In 1980 the Diocesan headquarters was shifted from Lolowai in Ambae, to Sarataka in Luganville, Santo.
The Bishops of Vanuatu:
1972 Bp Derek Rawcliffe (formerly Archdeacon Rawcliffe)
Feb 1980 Bp Harry Tevi
[24 Sep 1980 Diocesan HQ moved from Lolowai to Santo]
1990 Bp Michael Tavoa
[1996 Diocese split. Diocese of Banks and Torres formed.]
c.1999 Bp Hugh Blessing Boe
2007 Bp James Ligo

Documents rescued, identified and re-arranged on site at the abandoned DOV administration building, Sarakata, 2008 & 2009, including: correspondence files, land records, Diocesan Synod meeting papers, Diocesan education papers; and papers relating to the Melanesian Brotherhood, the Vanuatu Christian Council, the pacific Churchers Research centre, the New Hebrides National Party / Vanua’aku Pati, etc.; and copies SPAC Newsletter / Newsletter of SPAC (South Pacific Anglican Council), 1970-1994 (gaps).
See Finding aids for details.

Church of Melanesia (Anglican Church in the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Norfolk Island, New Zealand and Australia)

Diaries relating to his service with the Church of Christ Mission on Pentecost Island, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu).

  • AU PMB MS 1358
  • Collection
  • 1908-1918

Frank Filmer was a missionary with the Churches of Christ on Pentecost Island, New Hebrides from 1908-1919. Frank became engaged to Rosa Jane Fountain and in 1908 left to work as a missionary for the Church of Christ. He returned to South Australia and on 6 April 1909 Rosa and Frank were married in the Grote Street Church of Christ, Adelaide, South Australia. They had five children, four of whom were born in the islands. In 1923 Rosa developed malaria and died. Frank returned with his young children to Australia and worked as a Minister for the Church of Christ in Kadina, South Australia. Frank married Vera Edna Woodward on 2 November 1925 and returned to work on Ambryn as a plantation manager, where he had two more children. In 1929 they returned to South Australia. Frank later bought a dairy farm in Meadows where he and his three sons worked.

Four diaries written by Frank Filmer, 1908-1918

Reel 1:
Diary 1, 29 Feb 1908-31 Dec 1909;
Diary 2, 1 Jan 1910-31 Dec 1912
Diary 3, 1 Jan 1913-31 Dec 1915
Diary 4, 1 Jan 1916-31 Dec 1918

Filmer, Frank Gordon (1885-1956)

Charles Morris Woodford of the Solomon Islands: A biographical note, 1852-1927, MA Thesis, Australian National University.

  • AU PMB MS 1368
  • Collection
  • 1974

Dr. Ian Heath submitted this thesis as a requirement for the Master of Arts qualifying course in the Department of History, School of General Studies, at the Australian National University, October 1974. He later completed a PhD at La Trobe University in 1979 titled Land policy in the Solomon Islands.

Acknowledgements, p.1

Introduction, p.1

Chapter One: Early Life, 1852-1884, p.7

Chapter Two: Explorer and Scientist, 1885-1894, p.17

Chapter Three: Samoan Interlude, 1895, p.36

Chapter Four: The Appointment, 1896-1897, p.49

Chapter Five: Pacification of the Solomons, p.58

Chapter Six: Land and Labour Administration, p.71

Chapter Seven: Woodford and the High Commission, p.94

Heath, Ian C.,

Papers on town planning in Bougainville and Honiara, and provincial administration in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, including PNG Constitutional planning committee papers

  • AU PMB MS 1371
  • Collection
  • 1962-1993

Nigel Oram was an ethnologist and academic. In 1946, after military service in World War II, he read history at Oxford University. This was followed by a career in the British Colonial Service in East Africa and Uganda. In 1961, Oram helped set up the New Guinea Research Unit, Port Moresby, which was an offshoot of the Australian National University. His role was to undertake social research. To facilitate his information gathering, Oram learnt the Motu and Hula languages. In 1969, he was appointed a fellow at the University of Papua New Guinea, where he remained from 1969 to 1975. Oram returned to Australia where he taught history for nine years at La Trobe University and where, upon his retirement, he became an honorary senior research fellow. An extensive collection of Oram’s PNG research papers is held at the National Library of Australia (MS 9436).

Papers left outside Nigel Oram’s room when he left La Trobe University, Melbourne, rescued by Professor Martha Macintyre, and transferred to the PMB in August 2011, including the following:
• The Mystery of Guise (a longer draft than that microfilmed at PMB 1288);
• 2 box files, ‘British Solomon Islands Protectorate’, on Honiara town planning and related matters, 1962-1979;
• File, ‘Bougainville” on the Bougainville Copper Project and urban development ion Bougainville, 1969-1974;
• PNG Constitutional Planning Committee, Record of Proceedings, 4 Dec 1972-16 Feb 1973;
• PNG Constitutional Planning Committee, part draft report and recommendations;
• Papers on the PNG Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, c.1972;
• Documents on the PNG Department of Public Health, 1972;
• Maps of Port Moresby, c.1965 and Bougainville, c.1970.
See Finding aids for details.

Oram, Nigel D. (1919-2003)

Canberra branch, papers

  • AU PMB MS 1379
  • Collection
  • 1957-1965

The New Guinea Society was set up at a meeting in Canberra on 31 Jul 1957, following a call for expressions of interest from Ralph Bulmer, Margaret McArthur, Murray Groves and others. It was based in Canberra and drew most of its membership from the Australian National University, the Commonwealth Dept. of Territories and the CSIRO. The meetings were usually held in the Meetings Room, Eastern Annexe, University House under strict Chatham House rules. Professor J.W. Davidson, when Dean of the Research School of Pacific Studies, ANU, required all PhD students in the School to belong to the Society.

There were regular meetings of the Society, at which papers were presented; the texts of some of these are in included in PMB1379/1. Some important policy decisions were aired and discussed by the Minister and others before they were made public.

The Papua and New Guinea Society (not to be confused with the New Guinea Society) was established in Port Moresby, following an initiative by Nigel Oram, on 22 Nov 1962. Some documents relating to this society, including its constitution, are included in PMB1379/6.
Below is a list of Presidents and Secretaries of The New Guinea Society from 1957-1965.

C.S. Christian, President, 1957
Ralph Bulmer, Secretary, 1957
Dudley McCarthy, President, 1958-9
H.C. Brookfield, Secretary, 1958-9
R.D. Hoogland, President, 1960-1
Paula Brown, Secretary in 1960, 1961
J. E. Willoughby, President, 1961-2
J.N. Jennings, Secretary, 1961-2
Francis West, President, 1962-3
D. T. Lattin, President 1962-3, 1963-4
J. A. Mabbutt, in Chair in 1965
Colin A. Hughes, Secretary, 1963, 1964, 1965

New Guinea Society papers presented at meetings in Canberra, Australia (1959-1964)
New Guinea Society: membership and activities (1957-1965)
New Guinea Society correspondence (1962-1965)
New Guinea Society: Notices of meetings (1957-1964)
New Guinea Society: Committee meetings and notes (1957-1962)

New Guinea Society: Constitution (1957-1959)
See Finding aids for details.

The New Guinea Society

Selected archives

  • AU PMB MS 1390
  • Collection
  • 1848-1974

In 1854, at the recommendation of Bishop George Augustus Selwyn, Melanesia was created as a separate "See" which Bishop Selwyn toured in 1857 in the mission ship Southern Cross, visiting sixty-six of the islands. John Coleridge Patteson was consecrated Bishop of Melanesia in 1861. Patteson and several of his companions were killed on 20 September 1871 on the island of Nakapu, in the Santa Cruz group, after slave-raiders had visited the area. In 1867, the Mission college at Mission Bay, Auckland, moved to Norfolk Island. In 1919 it moved to Siota, Gela Island, and in 1970 to Guadalcanal where in became known as Bishop Patteson Theological Centre (later college), Kohimarama. The first Melanesian to be an ordained priest was George Sarawia from Mota Island, New Hebrides (Vanuatu) in 1873. Charles Elliot Fox joined the staff of the Anglican Melanesian Mission in 1903. During more than seventy years of service as a missionary and teacher, Fox lived and worked in most of the islands of the Solomon chain, on the Banks, and in the New Hebrides. Ini Kopuria formed the Melanesian Brotherhood in 1925. The first two Melanesian bishops were Dudley Tuti from Ysabel and Leonard Alufurai from Malaita. They were consecrated in Honiara in 1963. The Church of Melanesia was inaugurated in 1975.

Documents in the pre-1975 archives of the Church of Melanesia were deposited on 2-4 Feb 1981 and are now held in the National Archives of the Solomon Islands.

The documents copied include:
-news cuttings of Bishop Walter Badley (1926-1953),
-ephemera (Bishop Chisholm (1967-1972),
-Charles Fox Lord of the Southern Isles),
-Melanesian Mission, Sydney correspondence with Miss H.R. Blake,
-Melanesian Mission miscellaneous correspondence (1860-1940),
-Maps of Melanesia, 1947,
-Melanesian Mission General Secretary’s correspondence ‘English Correspondence’ (1921-1931),
-Melanesian Mission Trust Board (N.Z.) correspondence (1928-1963),
-Honiara Cathedral correspondence (1961-1970),
-Australian Board of Mission correspondence (1931-1974),
-New Zealand Anglican Board of Mission correspondence (1926-1928, 1950-1965),
-New Hebrides correspondence (1955-1970),
-Registers of the Church of St Barnabas, Alanguala, Ugi (1948-1954).
-Church of Melanesia Synod Minutes (1953-1965),
-O Raverare Gagang Melanesian Mission Church calendar in the Mota language (1939-1957),
-O Sala Usuri (issues missing from PMB Doc 215),
-Legal papers (1880’s-1960’s),
-George Hammond Tarr Ten thousand miles away with the Southern Cross (1921-1936).

See Finding aids for details.

See also PMB 549, 550, 554-560, 1301, 1331, 1332, 1333, 1334, 1344 and 1359.

Church of Melanesia (Anglican Church in the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Norfolk Island, New Zealand and Australia)

Results 71 to 80 of 243