AU PMB MS 1236
- 1973-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 reel; 35mm microfilm
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The British government had sent out town planners to Funafuti in 1960 to guide development of the increasing crowded urban settlement and in 1973, following a major cyclone, it constructed new housing at Funafuti. By 1993, when George Clarke visited Tuvalu to carry out his survey, the Tuvalu government was lobbying for new houses. George Clarke, is an architect and town planner by profession, who has worked as a consultant on human settlements for the World Bank, United Nations, AusAID and others. He was concerned about the slumming down of Pacific communities and consequent health decay. His report addressses these problems and tries to stimulate cultural revival and eco-tourism. (George Clarke’s father, William Clarke, had helped established the Bita-paka wireless station, near Rabaul, in 1924 and subsequently became Manager of AWA Australia-Pacific Radio, making many trips back to New Guinea.)
- David Ball, 'Funafuti physical development plan', 1973.
- Simeona Iosia and Sheila Macrae, 'A Report on the Results of the Census of the Population of Tuvalu', 1979.
- Lars Carlstedt, 'Consultancy Report on Land Title Registration in Tuvalu 1984.'
- T.J. Bell, 'Tuvalu: Road Improvements and Maintenance', Funafuti Atoll, 1987.
- Government of Tuvalu, Housing Task Force. Working Papers, 1992.
- George Clarke, 'Life and Living in Tuvalu: steps towards sustainable strategies with particular reference to housing, infrastructure and land use', 1993.
See Finding aids for details.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Available for reference.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Mr George Clarke, Paddington, Sydney.
Existence and location of copies
Access this title at PMB Member Libraries or by purchasing it directly from the Bureau: http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/pambu/accessing.php
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area