Collection MS 1120 - Archives

Archives, Reel 1, pp.1-105 Archives, Reel 1, pp.106-185 Archives, Reel 2, pp.1-61 Archives, Reel 1, pp.186-270 Archives, Reel 2, pp.62-203 Archives, Reel 2, pp.204-305 Archives, Reel 2, pp.306-396 Archives, Reel 2, pp.397-453 Archives, Reel 2, pp.454-555 Archives, Reel 2, pp.556-680
Results 1 to 10 of 39 Show all
Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

AU PMB MS 1120

Title

Archives

Date(s)

  • 1905-1982 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

6 reels; 35mm microfilm.
Digital PDF.

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

French Marists first reached the Solomon Islands in 1845. A decade on, the losses of this expedition were great: San Cristobel, Woodlark, Umboi and Tikopia had all been abandoned; nine missionaries were dead. Under the auspices of the Oceania Marist Province, missionaries re-entered the Solomon Islands in May 1898. Apolostic Vicariates were established in the North and South Solomons and a Vicariate of the Western Solomons was established in 1960. After 1967 the Vicariats became known as Dioceses.<BR>Catholic development was directed from the Mission Station at Visale Station, Guadalcanal, before World War II, and from Honiara after the war. Though the Marist Fathers stayed at their posts during the war many records were detroyed and surviving records were subsequently decimated by mould and termites. See aslo the Mission journal, Na Turupatu, 1911-1958, 1970-1971, at PMB Doc 423 and Oceania Marist Provincial archives re North and South Solomons at OMPA 361-400.

Diocesan correspondence with the following Mission Stations:<BR>Ata'a/Ususue 1957-1967<BR> Malageti 1953-1971<BR> Tarapaina 1950-1970<BR>Ata'a land 1961-1973<BR> Makina 1971-1974 <BR>Rohinari 1972-1974<BR>Avu Avu 1946-1981<BR> Makina Marau District <BR>1952-1977<BR> Tsuva 1964-1970<BR>King George VI School<BR> 1951-1954 Manivovo<BR> 1949-1967<BR> Visale 1948-1953, 1961-1969<BR>Buma 1927, 1947-1982<BR>Rokera 1946-1968<BR>Wanoni Bay 1945-1970<BR>Buma land 1946-1981<BR>Ruavatu 1944-1977<BR>Yandina 1963-1970<BR>Dala 1950-1976 (gaps)<BR>Tangarare 1943-1968<BR><P>Together with correspondence held by theWanoni Bay Mission Station, 1905-1957, and a box file labelled World War II, and history and customs.<P><b>See reel list for further details</b>

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Available for reference.

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Holy Cross Catholic Centre, Honiara (Archdiocese of Honiara, P.O. Box 237, Honiara, GPO, Solomon Islands)

Existence and location of copies

Access this title at PMB Member Libraries or by purchasing it directly from the Bureau: http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au.virtual.anu.edu.au/pambu/accessing.php

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Keywords: World War Two, World War 2, World War II, WWII, WW2, W.W.II, W.W.2, Second World War, 2nd World War, Pacific War

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

ms1120

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Digitised in October 2015.

Archivist's note

These reels were split into 38 PDFs for the digital version.

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places